Study # 020
What is the purpose of the study?
To find ways to measure how drug use and stress are affected by
people’s neighborhood surroundings.
Who can participate in the study?
This study is accepting men and women who:
- Are 18 to 75 years of age
- Are physically dependent on heroin, methadone, or pain pills
- Are seeking treatment
- Are in generally good health
What will participants be asked to do?
The study consists of up to 12 months of daily study visits. Daily visits may decrease and take homes may be earned in the last
For research purposes, participants will:
- Use electronic diaries that are provided as part of the study
- Complete various tests that measure reactions to stress
- Carry GPS (global positioning system) units
- Provide urine samples 3 times a week
- Complete questionnaires about stress and drug use
Participants will also receive research-related treatment and
- Methadone or buprenorphine-naloxone every day
- Individual counseling once a week
- Help with transportation
- Help connecting with community services
Where is the study taking place?
The Archway Clinic, a part of the NIDA Intramural Research
Program is located on the Johns Hopkins Bayview campus in East
How much does it cost?
There is no cost for participation.
Will I receive payment of some kind?
Participants are paid for some research activities.
How can I find out if I’m eligible to participate?
Call 1-866-START NOW (1-866-782-7866) for a confidential
You must have the free Adobe Reader program installed on your computer to view the documents marked "(PDF)." Download the free Adobe Reader program.