Study # 061
What is the purpose of the research study?
To determine whether people with different forms of a specific gene respond differently to a drug called morphine
Who can participate in the study?
This study is accepting men who:
- Are 21 to 55 years of age
- Are nonsmokers or light smokers
- Are in generally good health
- Have been prescribed and have taken an opiate pain pill in the past
What will participants be asked to do?
- Attend 2 to 3 visits that last up to 8 hours
- Have 2 overnight visits at the NIH Clinical Center in Bethesda
- May have opiate medication (morphine) administered during some sessions
- Have blood drawn, complete questionnaires, complete tasks on the computer
- Have an MRI scan and 2 PET scans
Where is the study taking place?
The NIDA Intramural Research Program is located on the Johns Hopkins Bayview campus in east Baltimore.
Portions of the study will take place at the NIH Clinical Center in Bethesda, MD.
Will there be any cost to participate?
There is no cost for participation.
Will participants receive payment of some kind?
All study participants will be paid for their time and travel.
How can I find out if I’m eligible to participate?
Call 1-800-535-8254 for a confidential screening.