What is the purpose of the study?
To investigate if eating a ketogenic diet (including high fat, low carbohydrate shakes) will have an effect on symptoms of alcohol withdrawal and on brain function in patients with alcohol use disorder undergoing inpatient treatment of alcohol detoxification.
Who can participate in the study?
This study is accepting individuals who:
- Are 18-75 years old
- Are willing and able to provide written informed consent
- Have a moderate to severe alcohol disorder
- Are seeking treatment for alcohol use
What will participants be asked to do?
- Participate in our inpatient alcohol treatment program at the NIH Clinical Center
- As an inpatient in our alcohol treatment program, be randomly assigned to a meal plan for 3 or more weeks
- The meal plan will consist of a ketogenic diet (high fat, low carbohydrates) or standard American diet
- Activity level and sleep patterns will be monitored
- Blood and urine samples will be collected and research MRI scans performed
The NIH Clinical Center is America’s Research Hospital located in Bethesda, Maryland, on the Metro red line (Medical Center stop).
Will there be any cost to participate?
You do not need to pay to participate in this study. You will receive inpatient alcohol detoxification and treatment at no cost.
Will participants receive payment of some kind?
You will be financially compensated for your participation. NIH will provide travel to and from the NIH Clinical Center within the United States.
For information in how you can participate:
Call the NIH Clinical Center Office of Patient Recruitment, 1-800-411-1222.
NIAAA Join a Study.https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/join-study