Study # 479
What is the purpose of the research study?
To learn about how areas of the brain are involved in nicotine addiction function
Who can participate in the study?
This study is accepting men and women who
- Are 18 to 55 years of age
- Are nonsmokers
- Are in generally good health
What will participants be asked to do?
- Attend 1 session lasting about 3-6 hours for consent,
orientation and training, and an MRI scan
- Attend 4 sessions lasting about 3-6 hours each for MRI scans and TMS
- Have a brief medical assessment at each visit
What is TMS?
Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) is a procedure that uses magnetic fields to stimulate nerve cells in the brain
Where is the study taking place?
The NIDA Intramural Research Program is located on the Johns Hopkins Bayview campus in east Baltimore.
Will there be any cost to participate?
There is no cost for participation.
Will participants receive payment of some kind?
All study participants will be paid for their time and travel.
How can I find out if I’m eligible to participate?
Call 1-800-535-8254 for a confidential screening.