Study # 485
What is the purpose of the research study?
To develop new ways to measure nicotine dependence severity that may be useful in guiding development of new smoking cessation treatment targets.
Who can participate in the study?
This study is accepting men and women who
- Are 18 to 55 years of age
- Are in generally good health
This study is looking for participants who are
- Current smokers not interested in quitting at this time
- Past smokers who have successfully quit for at least 1 year
What will participants be asked to do?
- 1 session for consent, orientation and training, lasting about 3 hours
- 1 MRI scan, total visit length is about 4 to 5 hours
- 1 blood draw to obtain genetic information
- Brief medical assessment at each visit
- Answer questionnaires about how you think at feel at each visit
- Complete various thinking tasks inside and outside of the MRI
Where is the study taking place?
The NIDA Intramural Research Program is located on the Johns Hopkins Bayview campus in east Baltimore.
Will there be any cost to participate?
There is no cost for participation.
Will participants receive payment of some kind?
All study participants will be paid for their time and travel.
How can I find out if I’m eligible to participate?
Call 1-888-OUR-BRAIN (1-888-687-2724) for a confidential screening.